Overall, most enterprises using Dynamics GP are not “IT lead.” They are content with what works for them and do not need cutting-edge features. This article covers everything you need to know about Microsoft Dynamics GP’s retirement.
At the Community Summit recently held in North America, the words of Mike Morton – a Microsoft executive, shocked everyone in the room. Mike Morton confirmed that Microsoft will end mainstream support for Dynamics GP in 2028 and switch to extended support. It will be approximately five years from now, but this begs the question. What will happen next?
The clarified message published by Microsoft indicated the following:
• Microsoft will no longer accept requests for new features and changes of designs during the extended support phase.
• While Dynamics GP will receive updates for the foreseeable future, the updates will be minor. You will need to purchase add-ons to keep it running. The support package will include zero-cost security updates and paid non-security updates and support.
• Microsoft will continue to release regulatory (tax) and security updates for Dynamics GP, but the October 2022 release was the last to include other features.
• If you are an existing GP customer, you need not worry, as you can run your business for years.
What Options Do Enterprises Have?
Following the above clarifications, businesses should not expect significant updates to capabilities in Dynamics GP. Microsoft’s recent investments and innovations will be seen in other Dynamics 365 offerings. Being on Dynamics GP will be like caring for an “old car.” The system still works, but you’d have to buy add-ons to keep it running. However, it will die soon, so you’ll have to upgrade to a newer and better system, such as Dynamics 365 Business Central.
Microsoft’s latest innovation is Dynamics 365 Business Central. Business Central will be the focus of Microsoft’s investments in the SMB segment. If you want to transform your business, we recommend moving to Business Central.
Microsoft will also have to plan its next steps before the system becomes unsupported. Failure to plan will make it challenging for businesses to integrate with certain ISVs because most ISV partners will follow. There will be some partners who will serve GP users, but the number of providers is limited. And due to the fewer providers, users will waste more time looking for new partners, costing them money.
Features of Dynamics 365 Business Central
Customers can reach their full potential while using Dynamics 365. It contains the following features:
• New in-built user interface
• All-in-one integration with other Microsoft services
• Simple customization
• Order processing
• Efficient financial management
With a Microsoft Dynamics partner, customers can expect to be assisted with their GP-to-BC migration. Customers will continue to work directly with their existing partner while using these services as a “partner-to-partner” resource.
Are you confused about the most appropriate Dynamics solution for your company? Do you want an in-depth understanding of Dynamics 365 Business Central and other business solutions? Contact us today. We’ve been a Microsoft partner for over 21 years and will provide you with the Microsoft Dynamics business solutions you need to power your business.
Fifteen minutes on the call allows us to recommend the best solution for your company. You can also connect with us on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter or LinkedIn. Our team is on standby to evaluate and develop top-tier solutions for your industry.